A fresh start and good governance
You have in your hands a transversal and transformative project, a plan that began to be designed in 2013 and that wants to rebuild the Club to face the 4 key challenges it faces: we will soon bid farewell to the best generation of footballers in history, we face stiff competition backed by powerful tycoons or entire states, our finances are exhausted and there is a global pandemic raging.
Against that backdrop, it is vital to know what course to follow and what decisions to make and we are ready to choose the winning path at this historic crossroads. It has been 7 years of constant and collective work, listening to members from all over the country and building a great team to be able to build a winning proposal together; and today we can proudly say we have it.
We have a plan and we have the team with the best possible experience and ability to make it happen.
We will apply this program to achieve 3 key victories: sports, economic and social. A program with new ideas and new talent, an excited generation to dedicate all the accumulated professional experience to Barça, to collectively redo the Club, and to ensure that Barça contributes in a tangible way to making a better world.
We are here because the future demands new ways of doing things. New perspectives, new solutions, new leadership, more teamwork and less personalism, more honesty and transparency, listening to people, being connected to the rest of the world and knowing how to interpret it taking advantage of the digital revolution.
We are the real and calm change. A firm, responsible change, based on consensus, bringing together the priorities of a Barça majority. A change without backpacks, without nostalgia or mortgages of the past, only future. With you and thousands of partners, we are ready to make the change we want possible.
Talent, in the Club
We must commit to retaining and attracting the talent that has made history at Barça, while La Masia continues to nurture new talent – for football and all our other sports. We will restore the youth system’s ability to retain the talent who have made history with Barça.
For that reason, Barça’s sporting philosophy will come from former players who have lived and breathed the academy – top players developed by the Club who went on to win trophies for us.
We are committed to offering Club legends the best place for them to continue sharing their talent within Barça, whether that is in the dugout, in the back office or as a Club representative.
Messi is the best example and he must stay at Barça. We have a plan to make it possible for him to keep serving the Club for the rest of his life – how can it be otherwise?
This organization in making decisions based on experience and talent, will also apply to sections. Only in this way will we be able to strengthen and expand the multisport character of the Club, a feature of identity that makes us even bigger and more unique.
This idea goes beyond the football pitch. Talent must feel at ease in every part of the Club: we will replicate this model throughout the Club’s structure, from top to bottom. This challenge can only be faced if the best experience and capacity possible serve the Club.
- La Masia will once again feed the teams their playing style and their actual players – for football and all our other sports.
- We will only bring in talent from outside when we don’t have it in house.
- We will restore the youth system’s ability to retain the talent who have made history with Barça. For that reason, Barça’s sporting philosophy will come from former players who have lived and breathed the academy – top players developed by the Club who went on to win trophies for us.
- We are committed to offering Club legends the best place for them to continue sharing their talent within Barça, whether that is in the dugout, in the back office or as a Club representative.
- This idea goes beyond the football pitch. Talent must feel at ease in every part of the Club: we will replicate this model throughout the Club’s structure, from top to bottom.
- We are committed to returning to the positional play model and style that was so admired all over the world.
- Xavi belongs to Barça, not to any one candidacy. We all know that Xavi will come back to Club. Nevertheless, we have done something that no other candidate has done: sat down with him repeatedly over a five-year period to put together a plan for on-the-pitch success. Xavi and Jordi Cruyff will be at the heart of it.
- Messi must stay at Barça. We have a plan to make it possible for him to keep serving the Club for the rest of his life.
- We will promote a Masia for coaches in the Club. We will create a school to train new staff in the Barça model.
The members at the heart of the Club
We will put the members at the heart of the Club’s governance model. Crucial decisions are coming up: there will be a reconstruction, which will involve us all, and we will be transparent towards the members at all times when making that change.
The members will be our big differential advantage.
We will listen to them in various meeting formats and they will take part in referendums and consultations on key aspects of governance.
We will implement electronic voting. In the middle of the 21st century, it is urgent to fully democratize the Club, to give more decision-making power to its members, and move towards a more open and participatory Barça.
Electronic voting, which is already used in many countries and institutions with complete technical and legal certainty, is easy to use and allows us to return the Club to its members: it expands participation cases and makes it easier for us to react immediately when needed.
- We represent a guarantee that the members will be the Club’s owners. We will not become a PLC.
- Once the law has been changed, we will bring in electronic voting under the following circumstances:
- Presidential elections and collection of signatures for votes of censure or in support of precandidates, though it will always be possible to vote in person
- Members’ Meetings, so that major annual decisions can be voted on by the largest possible number of members
- Other consultations on issues of importance for the Club, particularly those of symbolic importance
- We will amend the Articles of Association, in order to make them fit for the 21st century and be able to bring forward the following measures:
- Overhauling the workings of the Delegate Members’ Meeting
- Going back to four-year terms, so that presidents can regularly re-establish their legitimacy
- Working towards scrapping the guarantees system and making it easier for Board members to be selected on the basis of experience and skills
- We will hold quarterly meetings with members of the Club, of official supporters’ clubs and of unofficial supporters’ groups, in order to hear their proposals and share information.
- Barça will ensure the rejuvenation and strengthening of the official supporters’ clubs. The director responsible for the official supporters’ clubs and unofficial supporters’ groups will be a full Board member
A Club with a cause
We have the purpose of becoming the Club best loved by children across the globe. We will be loved, not just for what we win, but also for how we win: the best Club in the world, the best Club for the world.
We are committed to acting decisively and proactively to create a world that is fairer, more democratic and more viable. The overriding objective of our social projects will be to help children in Catalonia and all over the world.
The UN has set 17 Sustainable Development Goals for the 21st century and one of them is quality education. We will take ownership of this goal: it will be our rallying cry for the presidential term and will give us the purpose of becoming the Club best loved by children across the globe.
That’s why UNICEF will be back on our shirt. We want to take advantage of Barça’s momentum and weight to make this world a better place, and UNICEF is a key partner in making this possible. The international organization, which works around the world for the rights of the most disadvantaged children and adolescents, will return to our shirt.
We will be a social reference in Catalonia and in the world. We will make tangible contributions to be useful in building a better society. We must take advantage of Barça’s ability to be influential and decisive in building a better world and be a benchmark not only for sports. The Club, from top to bottom, will breathe this idea. Not only will we communicate the values and principles we believe in, but we will put them into practice, proving with facts that we are a different Club. We will fill with meaning the ‘values’ that have become fuzzy today.
The Foundation will be the driving force behind these projects targeting children and young people. They will be chosen by experts and, later, guaranteed by the membership.
- We are a club with a cause and government action will be consistent with this principle cutting through.
- Through education projects at the local and international levels, we will make the most of Barça’s capacity to have a positive impact on the world.
- The Foundation will be the driving force behind these projects targeting children and young people. They will be chosen by experts and, later, guaranteed by the membership.
- We will forge and strengthen ties with key strategic partners, such as the UN and UNICEF.
- UNICEF will, thanks to our agreements with strategic partners, be back on our shirt, next to the crest, before the end of the presidential term.
- We will expand and adapt the code of conduct for the Board of Directors, which will set the standard for every level of the Club.
- We will set up a new Conduct unit in the Club, which will be responsible for ensuring that this code of ethics is followed to the letter.
YES to a Barça by and form women
To be more than a Club, Barça still have to make a stronger and more determined commitment to having women's teams always competing at the highest level.
Not only do we need to devote more resources and relevance to it: today several sections do not even have a women’s team to represent the Club.
The women's teams will definitely join the dynamics of the Club and will walk with a firm step towards the resources and the global weight of men's sport.
We will equip the existing sections with women's teams, and work on creating at least one new discipline: artistic swimming. Artistic swimming has a brilliant tradition and performance in Catalonia. And we want to take advantage of this historic impetus to make it another reference of our Club.
We will start a new cycle, and this will not only be reflected in the pitch. Women will also play a key role in the management of the Club, assuming key responsibilities in technical and executive positions – how can it be otherwise?
Over the next few years, the transformation to a Barça by and for women will be one of the great revolutions, both on and off the pitch, and it is also at the heart of our governance plan.
This structural change is essential: it will bring us more in line with what we want to be, but also more competitive – more than a Club.
- We will be more determined and firmer in our commitment to strengthening the women’s teams.
- Every sport that the Club plays will have a women’s team. The aim for all those teams will be for them to compete at the highest level.
- We will also start competing in a new discipline: artistic swimming.
- The Board of Directors will have more women members than at any time in the Club’s history. Barça’s thousands of female members will finally be represented at the highest level of the Club.
- We will make these principles into a priority goal within the Club’s executive bodies.
YES to all our Sports
Barça should be the largest and most-admired multi-sport Club in the world. We will use the same strategy for promoting our other sports as we use for football. The aim is not just to win trophies, but also to manage those sports better with a view to increasing crowds, markets, audiences and revenues.
We will export our other sports to outside Barcelona. There are countries where one of our other sports predominates, not football. Now is the time for our other sports to extend the fan phenomenon across the globe.
Expansion is possible if each sport has its own strategic plan, designed exclusively to excel in its field, taking into account its objectives, audiences and specific contexts. The strategy of each section must be thought out in the same way that football is designed.
Barça may have new sports. If we want to turn Barça into a truly multi-sport club, we cannot miss our presence around the world. In this regard, we need to explore the creation of new sports that focus on specific areas of the world and help strengthen our implementation. For example, cricket in India.
Football reaches almost every part of the world, but in many countries the national sport par excellence is another. Sometimes a sport that doesn’t carry the Barça crest. At the point of internationalization in which the Club is, it is time to improve our presence in these countries, and to bet on a reference Barça that makes a further step in its multisport character.
- Our commitment to our other sports is unbreakable.
- We will use the same organisational structure as for football: leading players must be able to stay at Barça to keep building up our other sports. We will only bring in talent from outside when we don’t have the right people in house.
- We will continue and rejuvenate our involvement in our non-professional sports.
- We will export our other sports to outside Barcelona. There are countries where one of our other sports predominates, not football. Now is the time for our other sports to extend the fan phenomenon across the globe.
YES to a Stadium full of members
We will restore the link between the members and the Stadium. There is an urgent need to pack the stadium full of members (whether or not they have a season ticket) and leave the days of it regularly being at 75-77% capacity behind. At every match, there are, on average, over 20,000 unoccupied seats and the Empty Seat scheme has been shown to encourage the stadium to be even emptier. We will reverse this trend. We want to turn every matchday into an experience designed with members in mind that encourages them to come to the Stadium.
We will implement effective policies so we make sure that the Camp Nou is full of members. It has been shown that the Empty Seat encourages emptying the Stadium by putting more tickets on sale to a general audience. This vicious circle must end. Less Empty Seats, More Full Seats.
We will implement a set of tickets at affordable prices for the over 30,000 members who do not have a season ticket and who have not been taken into account during all these years. As Barça members, they will have priority over third-party audiences when enjoying the Stadium.
We all have to fill the Camp Nou. When the new Camp Nou opens, we will issue at least 5,000 new season tickets, who have been waiting for years to be able to access a season ticket. We will also set up a system for recovering seats that have not been used for a long time, in order to assign them to members without a season ticket.
We will reach agreements with the other clubs to get cheap tickets for those members who travel with the team. The agreement will be reciprocal and bilateral.
- We will prioritise making sure that the Camp Nou is full of members (whether or not they have a season ticket), rather than day-trippers.
- Rather than promoting the Empty Seat scheme, we will offer discounted season tickets to the members who go to most games at the Camp Nou and the Palau Blaugrana.
- For every game, there will be a set of tickets at affordable prices for the over 30,000 members who do not have a season ticket.
- For finals, we will set aside a set of tickets for members with season tickets and another set for members without season tickets. Every season, those who go to the stadium most will have priority access to tickets.
- When the new Camp Nou opens, we will issue at least 5,000 new season tickets.
- We will set up a system for recovering seats that have not been used for a long time, in order to assign them to members without a season ticket.
- We will improve the system of children’s passes.
YES to sound financial management
Barça’s weak financial situation, combined with the extremely tough competition and the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, necessitate rethinking the Club’s financial structure and equipping it with all the tools required for it to operate at full capacity.
Therefore, we have a plan ready for the first 100 days and then a growth plan that will drive new revenue streams. The goal is to monetize 400 million fans.
We will move towards being the total Club: we will create a Barça that goes beyond traditional football and becomes a key player in the global entertainment industry. A club where content production contributes to sporting success and vice versa.
And we have prepared four main lines of action in this regard: audiovisual content, merchandising / e-commerce and gaming / e-sports.
- We will work on our own high-value content, which is a direct source of income or by subscription.
- We will reserve the rights of contents for the Club exclusively to be able to incorporate them in the offer of our OTT.
- We will have an active and leading role among the sports ‘propertie’ in the e-sports industry.
We will promote a structural change that improves the monetization of fans, establishing great agreements with the largest and managing to sell our products without intermediaries. We will reorganize our Barça Stores franchises, reaching new agreements with regional platforms and adapting the strategy to local consumption.
We have agreements with strategic partners that will make this plan possible.
- We have a plan ready for the first 100 days, which will balance the profit and loss account for this season and will refinance the debt maturing this summer.
- We have set out a plan for rational management of expenditure and for new revenue streams that will enable us to bring in €1.4 billion by the end of the term.
- We will sell new products and services – merchandising/e-commerce, audiovisual content and gaming/e-sports – to the 400 million Barça supporters around the world, cutting out the middleman.
- We have pre-contracts in place with strategic partners in each area, so that this plan can be put into effect and financed.
- The plan will be in the hands of a team of executives of the utmost reliability, selected over the course of the last seven years and led by a top-notch CEO.
YES to a viable Espai Barça
Espai Barça is the largest investment in the Club’s history. The original €600-million budget set out a financing formula – now out of date – of €200 million from the naming rights, €200 million in equity and €200 million in debt. The budget has now swelled to €815 million and the plan is to take on financing from Goldman Sachs, made up of €400 million in bank debt and €415 million in bonds guaranteed against future revenues.
We are clear that we will not jeopardise Barça’s financial future. When we start at the Club, we will review the status of the plan, in particular the financing, and adapt it, if necessary, to the Club’s current needs, opportunities and capacities.
We will promote a viable Espai Barça that does not jeopardise the members’ ownership of the Club, but does enable us to continue competing at the highest level. If either of these two conditions is not backed up by the figures, we will not launch any project that would call into question the Club’s survival.
Lastly, the members will have the final word on the project in a referendum. It will be all the members who will validate via referendum a key project for the history of our Club. An investment like that, sense-designed, will be decisive for our future, generating an important source of income for the Club.
- The new Camp Nou and the new Palau Blaugrana are urgently needed. We will do everything we can to make them a reality during this term.
- We will, with urgency, promote an Espai Barça which ensures that the Club will remain in the hands of the members and enable us to continue competing at the elite level.
- We have an alternative financing package, in case the agreement with Goldman Sachs is not acceptable.
- The members will approve the final plan in a referendum.
- Espai Barça will help to revitalise our beloved district of Les Corts and will make the city of Barcelona even more attractive in the eyes of the world.
YES to our history
Barça will unashamedly assert its Catalan identity. We are and always will be a pro-Catalan Club.
The Club will always give its backing to whatever Catalans decide at the polls. The democratic will, in- and outside the Club, is absolutely sacrosanct.
We will play an active role in defending Catalan, our own language as a country and that established in the statutes of the Club. As such, it will be used in all Club activities.
In this sense, and even more so in the situation of fragility in which the language finds itself, we will promote our language and history among the people who work and play for the Club, and in wider society.
Barça, taking advantage of its strength and influence, will be actively involved in any social programmes and initiatives that contribute to normalising our language.
We will promote awareness of our Club’s history and encourage the dissemination of that knowledge. We will bring the Museum into the 21st century, so as to improve the experience.
We will give a new impetus to the Group of Ex-Players, with 3 key objectives:
- Take advantage of their relationships, experience and knowledge
- Assist in representation and social work
- Strengthen the system of help and support for the former player in personal, professional and family aspects once they stop being players.
- The Club will always give its backing to whatever Catalans decide at the polls. The democratic will, in- and outside the Club, is absolutely sacrosanct.
- We will play an active role in defending Catalan. We will be actively involved in any social programmes and initiatives that contribute to normalising our language.
- We will promote awareness of our Club’s history and encourage the dissemination of that knowledge. We will expand any initiatives that keep alive the memories of our legendary players and history.
- We will bring the Museum into the 21st century, so as to improve the experience.